2016 SE e-golf: 4 hours of charge time or not?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
forbin404 said:
Don't you think that a 12% variance is quite a large amount when telling you that you are getting 3.5 MP/kwh when it's really 3.07?

The infotainment center and mfi in the dash measures Miles per kw stored in the battery, not what it took to charge the battery. There are energy losses while charging.

forbin404 said:
Don't you think that a 12% variance is quite a large amount when telling you that you are getting 3.5 MP/kwh when it's really 3.07?
12% loss is 88% efficient charging. Anything above 85% charging efficiency is normal for any EV. By the way, the EPA numbers include this loss. The window sticker says something like 29kWh/100 miles. Those are kWh from the wall, not from an already charged battery, which is what the car's screen is giving you.

For the record, I looked at my Monroney sticker again and did indeed see the charge time listed: "3.7 hours (240V)". I had previously looked for the charge time, carefully examining the lower portion of the sticker. Duh!

My sticker says 3.7hours as well. I just don't see how its possible to charge the car in 3.7 hours with a 3.6kW charger...

Putting all of the misinformation aside for a second, is it fair to expect a 8 hour full re-charge on a 220V L2 charger at home?

The reason I'm asking is because I *always* sleep 8 hours a day, so that might be sufficient to me (i.e. I wouldn't know the difference between a 4 hour re-charge and a 8 hour re-charge).

samuelgoto said:
Putting all of the misinformation aside for a second, is it fair to expect a 8 hour full re-charge on a 220V L2 charger at home?

The reason I'm asking is because I *always* sleep 8 hours a day, so that might be sufficient to me (i.e. I wouldn't know the difference between a 4 hour re-charge and a 8 hour re-charge).

it may be sufficient for you if you never need to charger anywhere else but at home while you sleep. I can't answer that for you, but my life does tend to have emergencies that throw regular schedules out of whack. I try to plan for the worst and hope for the best. YMMV, go with what you know. Make sure you know, before you buy.

DepletedZPM and VWeGolf84 can you guys post picture of your window sticker? (DepletedZPM maybe your window sticker says 3.7hrs because you have DCM)

nswartzb said:
DepletedZPM and VWeGolf84 can you guys post picture of your window sticker?

2016%20SE%20Window%20Sticker_zpsdgzioycy.jpg

nswartzb said:
(DepletedZPM maybe your window sticker says 3.7hrs because you have DCM)
Yes, 3.7 hours is correct in my case.

[Edit: Used miimura's copied image link to make it work correctly. Thanks!]

samuelgoto said:
Yep, my sticker looks exactly like that.

Well, it's all based on which model the EPA tested, and in 2015, the EPA only had 7.2 kw on board chargers to test. All 2015's both SEL and Limited Edition's were 7.2 kw on board chargers. There is nothing stating that the EPA tested a 2016 SE model, or else the error is on the EPA.

caveat emptor and perform your due diligence is always in play when large sums of money are about to change hands. Do your homework first, all of it, before sitting down at the negotiating table.

OK fine but this is what is being put on windows of SE models... clearly a misstatement.

VWeGolf84 said:
OK fine but this is what is being put on windows of SE models... clearly a misstatement.

Read the fine print, always.

I am far from the smartest tool in the shed, and even I caught that when looking at a Nissan Leaf. You buy the cheapest model, you get a stripper, you pay more for the same model, the closer it comes to being fully loaded with all the good stuff. One is entry level, you get what you paid for, competing against a stripped Nissan Leaf. The other one is loaded, has all the good desirable components, and costs significantly more. You can't have it both ways. Champagne tastes on a beer budget doesn't work.

If you have a beef, take it up with Volkswagen. I don't think you'll get very far.

The 2015 models had the same chargers in the two different trim levels... they changed that are trying to hide it, in my opinion.

Here is a re-host of the window sticker linked above.

2016_e_Golf_SE_Window_Sticker.jpg

Right under "Technology" it clearly says "3.6kW ONBOARD CHARGER W/ RECEPTACLE (REQUIRES COMPATIBLE CHARGING STATION)".

The "Charge Time:3.7 hours (240V)" in the EPA section of the window sticker is clearly not modified from the prior models that all had 7.2kW on-board chargers.

VWeGolf84 said:
The 2015 models had the same chargers in the two different trim levels... they changed that are trying to hide it, in my opinion.
It says DC fast charge package $1675 in "packages/options"

samuelgoto said:

Yes, you can expect a full re-charge on L2 within 8 hours.

I only use the L1 trickle charger at 1.2kw and we are always charged in the morning. We don't ever take the range down below 30m, however, and don't always charge it every night. If it was completely drained we'd have to wait about 14 hours but even that isn't a huge deal according to our driving patterns.

JoulesThief said:
VWeGolf84 said:
I missed that. It is yet another point of confusion in that it does not mention that the package includes the 7.2kW on-board charger as well.

Still waiting for someone with 2016 SE without DC fast charger to post window sticker or other documentation stating that battery charges in 3.7 hours (I went to sticker says 7 hours)

miimura said:
JoulesThief said:
VWeGolf84 said:
I missed that. It is yet another point of confusion in that it does not mention that the package includes the 7.2kW on-board charger as well.

Yep, that fine print is tricky. Read it, carefully.

Back