lock all eGolf doors overnight -- even if parked in garage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saaber

My 2019 eGolf is in service for the first problem I had -- the supplied 120 v charging cable did not work. VW EV mechanic cleared numerous error codes in various chargng components -- and the 120 v charger works! Locking the car is the only thing that actually puts the charging system to sleep -- if left unlocked 'ghost errors" appear

Mechanic also advised keeping key batteries fresh and switching keys every week of so. - Saaber

My 2019 eGolf is in service for the first problem I had -- the supplied 120 v charging cable did not work. VW EV mechanic cleared numerous error codes in various chargng components -- and the 120 v charger works! Locking the car is the only thing that actually puts the charging system to sleep -- if left unlocked 'ghost errors" appear

Mechanic also advised keeping key batteries fresh and switching keys every week of so. - Saaber
have used same key and battery for 5 years with no issues.

My batteries lasted about 2 years. Modified the key to take 2032 instead of 2025. ~50% more energy.

And I practically never lock my car overnight. No issues from that.

That's a real no-brainer. And I simply can't understand VW using 2025 in the first place.
The only difference in the batteries is 0.7 mm thickness. The battery cover has 2 small ridges" keeping the battery in place. Just cut down ½-1 mm from them and the bigger battery fits. It's a little tricky getting the cover on but nothing major.

My batteries lasted about 2 years. Modified the key to take 2032 instead of 2025. ~50% more energy.

And I practically never lock my car overnight. No issues from that.
Saber here -- My car appeared to be problem free for four years (bought the 2019 e-Golf in early 2020), changing with home Level 2 charger . Then tried to use the Level 1 120 v charging charger for the first time. I would not work - error signals on cable. Thought the Level 1 cable was faulty - When the mechanic cleared all the error codes in the charging system the Level 1 cable worked

Locking the car every night might be good hygiene for EVs --

Back