E-Golf not charging on Level 1 and Level 2 chargers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

louichb22

Hi! As stated in the title, my 2018 e-golf won't charge on Level 1 and Level 2 chargers. It works fine on fast chargers (level 3). I went to my local VW dealer and they said I have to change part « 5qe915681n ». They charge 2000$CAD for the parts and 6 hours of labour.

I did a bit of research and found the part was called a « High Voltage Battery Charger ». Is it me or the problem I'm having is not linked with high voltage charging? In my mind, the high voltage charger would have to do with Level 3 charging or Fast chargers, which work fine in my case.

I'm also thinking of ordering the part myself and changing it since it's pretty strait forward and accessible. Just don't want to pay for a part I don't actually need...

What do you guys think?

Hi! As stated in the title, my 2018 e-golf won't charge on Level 1 and Level 2 chargers. It works fine on fast chargers (level 3). I went to my local VW dealer and they said I have to change part « 5qe915681n ». They charge 2000$CAD for the parts and 6 hours of labour.

I did a bit of research and found the part was called a « High Voltage Battery Charger ». Is it me or the problem I'm having is not linked with high voltage charging? In my mind, the high voltage charger would have to do with Level 3 charging or Fast chargers, which work fine in my case.

I'm also thinking of ordering the part myself and changing it since it's pretty strait forward and accessible. Just don't want to pay for a part I don't actually need...

What do you guys think?
12 V battery = low voltage battery. Traction battery (~320 V nominal) is high voltage battery.

Part is OBC - it converts AC power to DC power to charge high voltage battery.

I would pay shop to do it right. Up to you, though.

12 V battery = low voltage battery. Traction battery (~320 V nominal) is high voltage battery.

Part is OBC - it converts AC power to DC power to charge high voltage battery.

I would pay shop to do it right. Up to you, though.
I see. Makes sense to you that the Level 3 charging would work but not the Level 2 and this part would be the problem? Either the dealer or me fixes it, I still want to make sure this is the problem and not paying 2K$ for nothing..

The part # for 2015-2018 e-golf is 5qe915681n but for 2019-2022 is 5qe915681b. They look exactly the same but the 2019-2022 one is easier to find and very much cheaper. I'd stick with the real one but if someone can say the newer would actually work, I'd be happy to try it out and re-sell it if it doesn't work..

Thanks for the reply!

I see. Makes sense to you that the Level 3 charging would work but not the Level 2 and this part would be the problem? Either the dealer or me fixes it, I still want to make sure this is the problem and not paying 2K$ for nothing..

The part # for 2015-2018 e-golf is 5qe915681n but for 2019-2022 is 5qe915681b. They look exactly the same but the 2019-2022 one is easier to find and very much cheaper. I'd stick with the real one but if someone can say the newer would actually work, I'd be happy to try it out and re-sell it if it doesn't work..

Thanks for the reply!
Right about DCFC working but not AC. I don’t know about different revisions of the OBC.

I am curious as to why it failed. Cooling system issue?

I would question their 6 hour time estimate. The service manual has about 12 steps for this procedure. I can't see taking more than 2 hours for a dealer to do this.
  1. De-energize the high-voltage system
  2. Remove the noise insulation
  3. Drain the coolant
  4. Release the connector in the -direction of the arrow A-.
  5. Disconnect the connector in the -direction of the arrow B-.
  6. Disconnect the high-voltage cable for the High-Voltage Battery
    Charging Socket 1 -
  7. Disconnect the High-Voltage Cable for High-Voltage Battery
    Charger
  8. Disconnect the high-voltage cable -3- and -4-.
  9. Remove the potential equalization cable -2-.
  10. Remove the coolant hoses -2- from the High-Voltage Battery
    Charger 1
  11. Remove the bolts -2-.
  12. Remove the High-Voltage Battery Charger 1

Installing
Installation in reverse order of removal

It doesn't get simpler than that.

Back