DC-DC Converter Failure on My 2014 e-Golf

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SotheDel19

I’ve run into a pretty major issue with my 2014 e-Golf and could really use some advice or feedback. Out of nowhere, I got a red error message saying "12v battery not charging," and at the same time, I had a main battery charging fault. As a result, I couldn’t charge the main battery at all.

Thankfully, I had enough power left in the main battery to make it to the VW garage. After they checked it out, they told me that the DC-DC converter had failed, and the cost to replace it is estimated at a whopping $4,800! Needless to say, this has just about wiped out any fuel savings I’ve made from driving the e-Golf over the years.

Has anyone else experienced this issue with the DC-DC converter? I was talking to a vehicle engineer (not VW), and they mentioned that this might be a fairly common problem with some of the earlier e-Golf models due to overheating components.

I’m seriously considering contacting VW to express my frustration, especially since this feels like a major flaw. I’d love to hear if anyone else has had this issue or has any advice on how to handle it. Also, for those thinking about buying a second-hand original e-Golf, this might be something to keep an eye on!

Have you checked the 12v battery? A failing battery can cause a lot of electrical issues that seem worse than they are. Reaching out to VW about your DC-DC converter problem is a great idea since it feels like a major flaw, and I think you're not alone in experiencing this...

Back