Broken onboard charcher E-Golf, 5QE915681N

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erwin Kooij

Hello all,

We have a 2020 E-Golf with a broken onboard charger (found at the dealer). We had a revision model shipped from Germany with item number: 5QE915681B instead of 5QE915681N. On the advice of the seller, this was possible for our car model. Do I still have to teach the charger again or load different software? After replacing it, it recognizes the charging cable, but does not charge.

Thank you very much in advance.

Yours sincerely,

Erwin Kooij

Hello all,

We have a 2020 E-Golf with a broken onboard charger (found at the dealer). We had a revision model shipped from Germany with item number: 5QE915681B instead of 5QE915681N. On the advice of the seller, this was possible for our car model. Do I still have to teach the charger again or load different software? After replacing it, it recognizes the charging cable, but does not charge.

Thank you very much in advance.

Yours sincerely,

Erwin Kooij
So the dealer found the broken OBC but you decided to install it yourself?

We had
So the dealer found the broken OBC but you decided to install it yourself?
Thank you for your comment. Have an Octavia IV from 2021 and the e-Golf from 2020, but from day 1 only complaining about these cars. Received a quote of 2700 euros which I refused. I have been driving Volkswagens (golf, caddy, transporters) for 18 years and found that a charger cannot break down at 50K km. That's why we had one shipped from Germany. I am an electrician and this was a 30 minute job, just not the training. And I don't think it's wrong to give a charger a second life. All cars have always been purchased new.

We had

Thank you for your comment. Have an Octavia IV from 2021 and the e-Golf from 2020, but from day 1 only complaining about these cars. Received a quote of 2700 euros which I refused. I have been driving Volkswagens (golf, caddy, transporters) for 18 years and found that a charger cannot break down at 50K km. That's why we had one shipped from Germany. I am an electrician and this was a 30 minute job, just not the training. And I don't think it's wrong to give a charger a second life. All cars have always been purchased new.
2020 e-Golf drivetrain is still under warranty, right?

In the USA there is a 3 yr/36,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty, 5 yr/60,000 high voltage system warranty and 8 yr/100,000 mile battery warranty.

Are you sure?

The new module is not plug and play, it requires coding. Also, the fact you are installing an older revision is probably asking for trouble. The software version on the unit might be too old and might be incompatible with other units in the car. Best case scenario is that the module software version can be updated, the bad news for you is that it's only possible with special tools (like ODIS or VCP), which means going back to the dealer or finding a shop with those tools.

The new module is not plug and play, it requires coding. Also, the fact you are installing an older revision is probably asking for trouble. The software version on the unit might be too old and might be incompatible with other units in the car. Best case scenario is that the module software version can be updated, the bad news for you is that it's only possible with special tools (like ODIS or VCP), which means going back to the dealer or finding a shop with those tools.
Thanks for your reply, i was already thinking that. Changed the charger back to the old one yesterday and what do you think? Charger is working again, while the dealer said it was broken.

Now waiting for another hik up and then i will search for the same model and Hardware version.

Thanks for your reply, i was already thinking that. Changed the charger back to the old one yesterday and what do you think? Charger is working again, while the dealer said it was broken.

Now waiting for another hik up and then i will search for the same model and Hardware version.
Be aware that even if you find another used module with the same revision, you will still need to perform coding on it. If your current module works then you can at least try to backup your current long coding and adaptations. Then you can see if you can use those on a new module. However when I checked with VCDS, this module's security access code is unknown, so you might not be able to make changes. I haven't tried since I don't want to break my module.

Be aware that even if you find another used module with the same revision, you will still need to perform coding on it. If your current module works then you can at least try to backup your current long coding and adaptations. Then you can see if you can use those on a new module. However when I checked with VCDS, this module's security access code is unknown, so you might not be able to make changes. I haven't tried since I don't want to break my module.
Thanks, i Will do. Have Otis on my notebook and with Geko account it Will be succesful. First hope that the charger Will work for upcoming years :). Thanks for Your reply. Think nobody know the security acces code.

I'm confused. If you have 'Otis' which I assume you meant ODIS, then you already have the guided functions you needed to replace the module. Your original post said you replaced the module and you weren't able to charge. You say "Do I still have to teach the charger again or load different software", but did you use ODIS to replace the module or not?

I'm confused. If you have 'Otis' which I assume you meant ODIS, then you already have the guided functions you needed to replace the module. Your original post said you replaced the module and you weren't able to charge. You say "Do I still have to teach the charger again or load different software", but did you use ODIS to replace the module or not?
That was a T9 error, indeed Odis.

Tried lot of Things from online coding, adopt or reset. Nothing worker for me. I replaced with guided function, disable HV Battery, remove charger, place new one and bring back HV Battery. Just like you tell was Better to get the same art. Number from the charger them the old version. Will keep you update when charger fail again. Odis was the software i need. Is VCP als working great?

Latest posts

Back