Disconnecting the 12v battery

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've driven the car the last two days, about 120 miles, and just checked my health report. Everything is all green and working as it should. It took about a day for everything to reset, the tire pressure and hill roll back etc. Now it all works perfectly, including Car Net. :D

Yay!, so TSB 2040470 at the dealership, and then a 12V battery negative ground disconnect and reset does resolve the Car Net issues. Activated Car-Net today, a few days to wait to get it working, I guess.

VW is stupid to have this on a phone app, it should be programmed in house into the infotainment settings as an added page or two or three or four under "CAR".

sweetwagon said:
I'm still having issues from my phone. I'm able to access car-net from my PC but not my phone(HTC One M8). Anyone else able to successfully access car-net from an HTC One M8?

I had issues with Car-net app crashing every time I opened it. I did the Microsoft fix and restarted my HTC One M8. Car-net works great now.

Hi All!

Looked around but didn't find a sign of this.If there's a discussion already on this, please point me at it.

So, I've had my e-Golf for a little less than a week and so far I love everything about it but Car-net, unsurprisingly. After waiting 72 hours for initial activation as the lady behind the I button recommended, I still had connection problems. On Tuesday, after reading the sketchy repots of OTA updates being triggered from the I button calls, I called hooey and tried a hail mary maneuver. I grabbed a wrench and disconnected the 12v battery just to see what would happen. Every other car I've owned has always been receptive to this hard reset and since this little beast is still a Golf, I figured why not try?

Initially, I was panicked on first start after reconnecting the 12v battery. The dash went nuts with failure errors about the TPMS, Hill Start Assist, Immediate service needed for the high voltage battery, and probably others I'm forgetting. However, after driving it a few hundred feet, everything was happy again. And lo and behold! Car-Net problems all went away! I could finally set options, configure charging locations and departure times, as well as actually successfully send commands with the Remote functions. And it's all working swimmingly.

Now, I haven't yet tried using delayed charging, nor have I gotten the update from VW that allegedly fixes the problems there. We've got two EVs now and only one 240v outlet and the Model S gets precedence on the 12:00 cheaper charge time. So the opportunities to try delayed charging haven't been there yet since I usually charge right when I get home. I'll give it a shot Friday night and see if I have the same troubles there everyone else has seen. And I'll likely go to my dealer next week for the new software if so.

But I was primarily curious if anyone's tried disconnecting the 12v as well. Seems like it might help, so I wanted to share.
I just tried it, and it worked! I charged my 12-volt car battery using a smart charger that I bought at a car parts store. I started by removing the regular car battery leads, and attached the car battery charger to it. I noted that the battery had a little less than a 25% charge. I left the charger to charge overnight. The next morning, the regular car battery was fully charged. 👌

I then got the problem with all the errors you mentioned. I followed your advice and drove my car around the block. When I came back home and plugged in the EV charger on scheduled charging, it worked! Thanks so much!

Back