Allow dealer to ship my car to VTS in MA for uncertain repair? ("Error: Electrical System: Stop!" & P0DB400: Hybrid/EV Battery Cell Balancing code)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tlovejr

My 2019 e-Golf (w/ only 12k miles) has been at the local dealer for just over two weeks due to the dreaded "Error: Electrical System: Stop!" problem. Problem manifests as random non-starts that resolve themselves after 5-30 mins. After 1 wk the dealer said that the problem was a rodent had been chewing on the orange cabling under the hood. I do see a chipmunk run under the car alot, and they said they saw droppings, so I took their word on it. $450 later, a new harness has been installed.

They have also found an error code regarding the batteries: P0DB400: Passive/Sporadic: Hybrid/EV Battery Cell Balancing Circuit "C"

The dealer is reporting that VTS (Volkswagen Technical Support/Service) told them that they only work on e-Golf battery problems at a facility somewhere in Massachusetts. They said the car must be shipped there for investigation and repair. They (VTS) say they won't know until it gets there if the repair is covered under warranty. (General warranty expired, but battery warranty remains). I've asked basic questions such as: Who pays for shipping? How long will it be there? and Do I get a loaner? The dealer is investigating those at the moment.

Any thoughts on this? Is this worth doing? I don't want to decline a service recommendation that might have been a big problem that would be covered by warranty. Conversely, I don't want to go through all this trouble only for VTS to come back and say "That code isn't a problem, the real problem was the wiring" and perhaps even "You owe us $Xk for all this shipping and needless investigation".

My 2019 e-Golf (w/ only 12k miles) has been at the local dealer for just over two weeks due to the dreaded "Error: Electrical System: Stop!" problem. Problem manifests as random non-starts that resolve themselves after 5-30 mins. After 1 wk the dealer said that the problem was a rodent had been chewing on the orange cabling under the hood. I do see a chipmunk run under the car alot, and they said they saw droppings, so I took their word on it. $450 later, a new harness has been installed.

They have also found an error code regarding the batteries: P0DB400: Passive/Sporadic: Hybrid/EV Battery Cell Balancing Circuit "C"

The dealer is reporting that VTS (Volkswagen Technical Support/Service) told them that they only work on e-Golf battery problems at a facility somewhere in Massachusetts. They said the car must be shipped there for investigation and repair. They (VTS) say they won't know until it gets there if the repair is covered under warranty. (General warranty expired, but battery warranty remains). I've asked basic questions such as: Who pays for shipping? How long will it be there? and Do I get a loaner? The dealer is investigating those at the moment.

Any thoughts on this? Is this worth doing? I don't want to decline a service recommendation that might have been a big problem that would be covered by warranty. Conversely, I don't want to go through all this trouble only for VTS to come back and say "That code isn't a problem, the real problem was the wiring" and perhaps even "You owe us $Xk for all this shipping and needless investigation".
Maybe ask another local dealer if it can work on your car? How far is VTS if you were to drive (and have time to drive)?

Are driver facing errors gone now?

I've confirmed that this is the correct path to take. Apparently all e-Golf's "east of the Mississippi" are redirected to Colonial VW in Westborough, MA for battery service. Local dealers are certified for ID series EV's, but e-Golf battery work is being consolidated.

Back