Volume control - Apple Car Play

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeremyrig

Anyone have an issue in their e-Golf with Apple Car Play volume being un-usable? When I try and increase the volume it sparatically jumps around, up and down. I can eventually find an acceptable volume but it's very frustrating. The seems to be with Apple Car Play only but I need to confirm it's not happening on the factory volume as well. I have an Iphone 10s and it happened on the 12.x version as well as the new 13.x IOS...

Jeremyrig said:
Anyone have an issue in their e-Golf with Apple Car Play volume being un-usable? When I try and increase the volume it sparatically jumps around, up and down. I can eventually find an acceptable volume but it's very frustrating. The seems to be with Apple Car Play only but I need to confirm it's not happening on the factory volume as well. I have an Iphone 10s and it happened on the 12.x version as well as the new 13.x IOS...

I've used CarPlay pretty much every day in a 2018 SEL for the past year, and I've never had a volume problem like you describe either on iOS 12 or iOS 13 using an iPhone X.

I guess if I were you I'd first test the volume controls on the head unit without using CarPlay and see if it's functioning properly. If it is, then I would borrow someone else's iPhone and see if the issue appears with a different phone. My experience with CarPlay in a number of different cars has been that the volume is independently controlled by the head unit and is not related to CarPlay itself, but I could be wrong.

If all else fails, I would first try different Apple brand or Apple MFi certified cables to see if maybe it's an issue with the cable, and after that have it checked out by the dealer.

Thanks! I confirmed the issue wasn't isolated to Car Play only and took the car into the dealer. The technician confirmed the issue and said they would likely replace the head unit as there's no separate part for the volume control. One interesting mention by the tech is that the head unit is for display and input only with the brains being located in the glove box. The good news is the car is under warranty for one more day so this one's on VW...

Back