Siemens Versicharge Delay timer charge function not working

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bob95825

I know I can setup the charging times on the eGolf, but before I did that, I wanted to make sure that all functions of my EVSE works fine. So I set the delay timer on my Siemens VC30GRYHW Versicharge (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MFVI8UG) and plugged the cable into the car. When I woke up in the morning, the car wasn't charged. This happened twice.
The EVSE charges the car just fine when I don't use the delay timer function.

So my question is, should I be contacting Siemens for a bad EVSE or is it something in the eGolf that doesn't allow charging using a delay timer on the EVSE?

I'm guessing that when I plug in the cable, the car sends a request to the EVSE that it needs a max of 15amps at 240V but the EVSE doesn't respond since it's not going to send power until the timer counts down to zero. And when the car doesn't get a response, it assumes there is no power in the cable and it shuts down. But then the timer goes off, it should send some info to the car that it's ready to send power.

The Siemens delayed charge does not work with the e-golf for precisely the reason that you mention. I believe the Chargepoint and Juicebox EVSEs do work with delayed charging on the e-golf.

Back