Looking Into Intelligent Octopus for My e-Golf

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ike1011UT

I couldn’t find much info on this elsewhere, so I thought I’d start a new thread. My current two-year fixed electric plan with Octopus is ending early next month, and since we’ve recently added an e-Golf to the family, I’m considering switching things up.

So far, we’ve been pretty happy with the 20p/kWh rate we’ve been paying, but I’m now looking at some other Octopus options, like Intelligent Octopus (IO), Agile, and Tracker. I’ve read that some people with larger battery EVs get additional off-peak charging slots outside the standard 10:00 PM – 6:00 AM window because their cars take longer to charge.

Given the e-Golf’s relatively smaller battery size, I’m wondering if anyone else with an e-Golf has been able to take advantage of those extra off-peak slots? For example, if I set a 100% charge by 8:00 AM in the Octopus app, does it just charge fully by 5:30 AM and then sit there, or does it continue charging closer to my departure time, allowing for more off-peak electricity use between 5:30 AM and 8:00 AM?

Would love to hear how Intelligent Octopus works with the e-Golf from anyone who’s been using it. I’m trying to figure out whether it’s worth switching over to IO or sticking with a different plan.

It's really about your daily driving habits. I’m on Octopus Go, and a 4-hour off-peak charging window works perfectly for my needs. With your e-Golf's smaller battery, you might find that the standard off-peak hours are sufficient, but you should how Intelligent Octopus can optimize your charging times based on your schedule.

Back