Can the e-Golf reach 190km in one charge at all?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bokazoit

I am a new owner and happy btw but is it all possible to reach 190 km in one charge without driving in eco+ and downhill?

Is it legal to claim such range if it is not posible at all?

Is it possible at all for any normal EV except Tesla to reach 190 km?

Bokazoit said:

I don't know where you live and where VW is claiming 190km range, but I'm going to say yes, it is legal.

Even VW's recent emissions cheating code was technically legal - the cars passed the tests in the way the tests were conducted. They may never have had similar results in real life, but the letter of the law is to pass the test prescribed by the law. Sure, they violated the spirit of the law but the problem is as much with the way the tests are structured than any individual company trying to game the test (and I'm sure more than VW do it).

It's the same with the electric range claims. There will be a test prescribed by the appropriate authority and the car will have been evaluated against that test. It doesn't mean you'll get that range everyday in normal usage, it's just a means to make nominally equivalent comparisons between manufacturers. Even that is of dubious utility though if what's really being tested is the manufacturer's software department's ability to adjust the car for the test.

GadgetGav said:
Bokazoit said:

I don't know where you live and where VW is claiming 190km range, but I'm going to say yes, it is legal.

Even VW's recent emissions cheating code was technically legal - the cars passed the tests in the way the tests were conducted. They may never have had similar results in real life, but the letter of the law is to pass the test prescribed by the law. Sure, they violated the spirit of the law but the problem is as much with the way the tests are structured than any individual company trying to game the test (and I'm sure more than VW do it).

It's the same with the electric range claims. There will be a test prescribed by the appropriate authority and the car will have been evaluated against that test. It doesn't mean you'll get that range everyday in normal usage, it's just a means to make nominally equivalent comparisons between manufacturers. Even that is of dubious utility though if what's really being tested is the manufacturer's software department's ability to adjust the car for the test.

/\ This... is pretty much 100% correct. Letter of the law vs real world are 2 different things. I will say that with judicious and gentle driving, I've done 114 miles on a recharge and had some left in the battery, not much, but that's just to show as an example what can be done. None of this is possible if you drive over 55mph /90 kmh on roads. You must slow down, so you don't waste energy and shorten your range, pushing air out of the way of the nose of the car. You will need to average over 9.5 kilometers per kW to make it happen, over the whole trip.

It also probably won't be too good for the battery to take the charge that low, either, without recharging to about 60% almost immediately.

"Up to 190 km" is claimed to be based on the NEDC cycle which is famously optimistic.

That said, 190 km is certainly possible under perfect circumstances and speeds below 65 km/h or 40 mph. A more realistic range is 140 km (88 miles) at motorway speed and 160 km (100 miles) urban.

Nissan used to advertise the (original 24kWH) Leaf as being a 100 mile/160 km car, so VW isn't exactly unique about their claims.

As far as the EPA's range estimates, I think they should have a "City" and "Highway" rating just like the MPG rating on ICEVs/hybrids. Perhaps a "Winter" rating figure as well, so folks have an idea of how badly a particular car is affected by cold (resistive vs. heat pump heater).

I really dislike a system that is suppose to give the buyer an idea about the products usabilty and then end up serving the industry instead. It is like claiming MacD is gourmet through testing but never is on par with the buyers :roll:

RonDawg said:
As far as the EPA's range estimates, I think they should have a "City" and "Highway" rating just like the MPG rating on ICEVs/hybrids. Perhaps a "Winter" rating figure as well, so folks have an idea of how badly a particular car is affected by cold (resistive vs. heat pump heater).
That would be a good idea

Bokazoit said:
I really dislike a system that is suppose to give the buyer an idea about the products usabilty and then end up serving the industry instead. It is like claiming MacD is gourmet through testing but never is on par with the buyers :roll:
Welcome to the world of politics. The experts who advise the lawmakers probably come from the industry, the industry certainly has deep pockets to lobby the lawmakers, they might even write the "draft" legislation that probably becomes law with little or no editing. The average consumer doesn't really have a voice...

GadgetGav said:
Bokazoit said:
Welcome to the world of politics. The experts who advise the lawmakers probably come from the industry, the industry certainly has deep pockets to lobby the lawmakers, they might even write the "draft" legislation that probably becomes law with little or no editing. The average consumer doesn't really have a voice...

Talk to VW TDI owners, and many of them will tell you they consistently beat the EPA mileage ratings on the highway, or interstate. I like to think of it as skill, or lack thereof, of the operator. Those that think driving is fun , or are enthusiasts, will rarely if ever meet the EPA ratings. Those that just drive to get from point A to point B that are law abiding and drive the speed limit, will exceed the EPA ratings. Drivers run the full range of the Bell shaped curve in statistics. It's where you're at on the bell, based on technique and good or bad driver habits on driving smooth or racy. Those that are good at preserving and conserving kinetic energy win the prizes for highest MPG or miles per kWh. Drive like a punk, or like it's the video game "Need for Speed" and the results are predictably less than stellar. Delta changes in Speed costs big $$$, how fast do you want to go, or to accelerate and decelerate?

Back