50 amp charging?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AustroTom

Hello All,

Can I charge a '16 SEL with a 240V 50 amp service from a 14-50 plug?

Thanks,
Thomas

AustroTom said:
Hello All,

Can I charge a '16 SEL with a 240V 50 amp service from a 14-50 plug?

Thanks,
Thomas
Sure, but the car will only draw up to 30 amps from that 50 amp socket. You also have to bring your own EVSE to plug into that 14-50 socket. Did you have an EVSE in mind or do you want suggestions?

Thank you for your reply!
My next question would have been whats the max amps the E-Golf will allow charging ;)

And yes, I always like suggestions. (I looked a little bit into Clipper Creek).
Thomas

Another question: with the built-in charger on the SEL all I need is a cord without the charger, correct?

AustroTom said:
Another question: with the built-in charger on the SEL all I need is a cord without the charger, correct?
You need a proper EVSE. The actual charger that converts AC power to the voltage required to charge the battery is in the car. You can buy an EVSE that comes with the 14-50 plug already attached. They include:

Clipper Creek HCS-40P

JuiceBox 40

Jesla (converted Tesla Mobile Connector)

Some others are available as plug-in but most of those use a NEMA 6-50 socket.

I have a brand new Clipper Creek HCS-40-P for sale. I can save you some money on it, it's new in the box. PM me if interested. It needs a home where it will finally get plugged in and used.

Any VW with the 7.2 kwh charger pack will charge at a maximum of 30 amps. Voltage can be 240V, 208V commercial, or 120V, but 30 amps is the max. Dropping the voltage drops the kwh from 7.2 for 240V to about 6.6 for 208V, usually less, and 3.6 kwh for 120V at 30 amps.

great, I'll think about it.
I don't own a vehicle yet (still deciding between SEL and Tesla).
What is the time it takes for a full charge with the 40P?

AustroTom said:
great, I'll think about it.
I don't own a vehicle yet (still deciding between SEL and Tesla).
What is the time it takes for a full charge with the 40P?

I've added 19 kwh measured out of 21 total usable, in 3 hours and 10 minutes. The last kwh added takes about 15-20 minutes, you can add 18 in about 2 hours and 50 minutes. Not an issue if you charge at home, or overnight, or at work.

Thank you for all your great replies!I'm so much smarter already.
Does the E-Golf also qualify for the 2,500 California incentive and 7,500 federal tax rebate? (even if I buy it through my corporation)?

AustroTom said:
Does the E-Golf also qualify for the 2,500 California incentive and 7,500 federal tax rebate? (even if I buy it through my corporation)?
The 2500 works as long as your business doesn't have $250k in income.

AustroTom said:

Is your corporation going to be the owner on record (i.e. the name on the registration)? If so, will your name also be on the registration? If not, then no you won't get the credit/rebate. Those have to go to the owner(s) on record. For the CA rebate (but not the Federal credit) there is an exception for leases, but the lessee's name has to be on the registration as well.

Eligibility requirements for the CA rebate: https://cleanvehiclerebate.org/eng/eligibility-guidelines

forbin404 said:
AustroTom said:
The income limit only applies if you apply as a consumer. If you apply for the rebate as a business and the vehicle is titled to the business, then there is no income limit.

miimura said:
forbin404 said:
AustroTom said:
The income limit only applies if you apply as a consumer. If you apply for the rebate as a business and the vehicle is titled to the business, then there is no income limit.
Good point! the income limit is only for consumers.

Hmm...since I'm at the 2 rebate limit, make a cheap Corporation to get around it? haha

Is it possible to have the corporation AND my name on the registration? So, would the $7500 tax credit work at all if only the corporation is on the registration? I imagine if my name is allowed to be on there IN ADDITION to the corporation that it would?

AustroTom said:
Is it possible to have the corporation AND my name on the registration? So, would the $7500 tax credit work at all if only the corporation is on the registration? I imagine if my name is allowed to be on there IN ADDITION to the corporation that it would?
That one is so convoluted that you will have to call 866-984-2532 to get a good answer.

AustroTom said:
It sounds like you need to talk to a CPA. You need to decide how to account for the vehicle as a business expense. Personal use of a business vehicle has implications just like reimbursement for business use of a personal vehicle has rules. Also, if the business doesn't have enough tax liability to take the tax credit, but you do on you personal taxes, you're probably better off getting the whole tax credit and just accepting the consequences and possibly losing the CA rebate.

Sorry for the confusion.
I think that last post WAS a bit too intricate and definitely needs to be handled by our CPA.
I guess I was just wondering if some of you had a similar scenario.

By the way my Corporation name IS my personal name so I wondered if the Inc. should be there or not.
And yes, all our vehicles are pretty much owned by the corporation.

But foremost I need to say how much I appreciate all of your input and knowledge in all matters of EV ownership.
I'm glad to have found you.

Thomas

Back