2019 e-golf stops charging at 136 miles

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

av1111

Hi

Curious if someone else is seeing this.. The car is connected to 240V 15Amp charger. It fully charges to 136 miles and then just says plugged in. Does not add more miles

Also is there a way to see the amount of battery left? For example Total 35.8 KWh, now remaining 20 KWh

av1111 said:
Hi

Curious if someone else is seeing this.. The car is connected to 240V 15Amp charger. It fully charges to 136 miles and then just says plugged in. Does not add more miles

Also is there a way to see the amount of battery left? For example Total 35.8 KWh, now remaining 20 KWh

Do you have a charge timer set up in the e-Manager? If you do and it has a "max charge level" set, the car will stop charging at that level. If you DON'T have a timer set, what kind of EVSE are you using?

To the second question, there's no way to check that in the car directly, but I've been collecting data from an OBDeleven dongle plugged into mine and it seems like that figure is available via the CAN Bus. Thats a lot more hassle than I think you're asking for though!

It is operating normally. A few points of clarification: 1. The charger is in the car for AC charging. The thing you plug into is a charging station. The car can take a maximum of 30 amps, 240 V AC and it will also take lower amperages and voltages (120V). 2. The 136 miles is the GOM (Guess-O-Meter). You may or may not get 136 miles of range, depending on the ambient weather, how fast you drive, if you the A/C or heat on, etc. 3. There is a gauge on your dashboard to tell you state of charge. In an SE, it is an analog "fuel" gauge. On the SEL with the digital dash, it is a little bar on the power gauge. Neither of them are very good for accurate SoC estimates, but that's what VW provides. There is no digital SoC number nor kWh available that you can see on the dashboard. You need an app and dongle (like OBDEleven) to get more detailed, nerdy (I like nerdy) information. Best of luck!

OBDEleven sells "apps" within the program to enable special features on the e-Golf. It would be wonderful if OBDEleven offered some way of showing, say on the center screen, a digital reading on the state of charge, current charge rate (if you are charging), current discharge rate (while you drive), usable battery capacity, current battery capacity, etc. I don't think it would take them that much effort to program this, but, of course, they need to get a request to do it so they know people want this.

Sparklebeard said:
av1111 said:
Hi

Do you have a charge timer set up in the e-Manager? If you do and it has a "max charge level" set, the car will stop charging at that level. If you DON'T have a timer set, what kind of EVSE are you using?

To the second question, there's no way to check that in the car directly, but I've been collecting data from an OBDeleven dongle plugged into mine and it seems like that figure is available via the CAN Bus. Thats a lot more hassle than I think you're asking for though!

No active profiles. Tried a morning profile last week but disabled this week. Used to see 145+ before that profile was created.

I have a Snap-on Modis Ultra. Will check the pids

f1geek said:
OBDEleven sells "apps" within the program to enable special features on the e-Golf. It would be wonderful if OBDEleven offered some way of showing, say on the center screen, a digital reading on the state of charge, current charge rate (if you are charging), current discharge rate (while you drive), usable battery capacity, current battery capacity, etc. I don't think it would take them that much effort to program this, but, of course, they need to get a request to do it so they know people want this.

Do you mean through something like Android Auto or MirrorLink? That would be really cool. I know they're working on an iOS edition of the app/dongle, and it would be technically feasible for them to create CarPlay support to show that info on the infotainment.

Sadly they would not be able to add that information to the VW infotainment system directly, but a CarPlay app would be EXCELLENT

(As an aside, wouldn't PlugShare be awesome with CarPlay support?!)

av1111 said:
Sparklebeard said:
av1111 said:
Hi

No active profiles. Tried a morning profile last week but disabled this week. Used to see 145+ before that profile was created.

I have a Snap-on Modis Ultra. Will check the pids

You are referring to the 136 on the cars GOM? I think so.

Agree with the others, the OBD11 will list the SoC.

My guess o meter is that your driving style has your cars GOM limiting to 136. My driving style has it 155, sometimes I see 170.

Verbruggan said:
My guess o meter is that your driving style has your cars GOM limiting to 136. My driving style has it 155, sometimes I see 170.

That must be it but it is not clear why. Extended battery consumption displayed (over 600 miles driven) is 4.2 mile/kwh. For 35.8 KWh car, total should be 150 miles when it is fully charged. May be it is
a "smart" feature

Yes, you have confirmed it is your driving style. e-Golf is 35.8 kWh gross, about 32 kWh net (when new). 32 kWh usable x 4.2 miles/kWh = 134 miles range. If you are able to drive more conservatively, you will be able to achieve 150 miles range. Turn off the A/C or heat, slow down, hypermile.

f1geek said:
Yes, you have confirmed it is your driving style. e-Golf is 35.8 kWh gross, about 32 kWh net (when new). 32 kWh usable x 4.2 miles/kWh = 134 miles range. If you are able to drive more conservatively, you will be able to achieve 150 miles range. Turn off the A/C or heat, slow down, hypermile.

Makes sense. Thanks for clarifying! :D

Sparklebeard said:

Also as an aside, the iOS version of PlugShare does not and currently cannot do active navigation on Apple CarPlay, as the app just overlays their charging station data over an Apple Maps feed on iOS using MapKit. To do active navigation on CarPlay, PlugShare would have to provide their own map imagery and road data. They cannot use Apple’s MapKit SDK for that data. PlugShare would also have to be able to provide its own route guidance directly in the app, as iOS CarPlay guidelines prohibit apps from “linking out” to Apple Maps, Google Maps, Google Waze, or the car's nav system, which is what PlugShare does when you tap the “Get Directions” link in the app.

That said, having a system in the infotainment system similar to Tesla’s nav system to map out a route with charging stops included would be a fantastically useful addition to the e-Golf, or any other non-Tesla EV, for that matter.

manybees said:
Sparklebeard said:
That said, having a system in the infotainment system similar to Tesla’s nav system to map out a route with charging stops included would be a fantastically useful addition to the e-Golf, or any other non-Tesla EV, for that matter.

This is what CarPlay should do, but also doesn't. On the phone app (by example), Carnet also send out to 3rd part in a "search" for a charger (only DC chargers though). Which is crap. VW is so proprietary with their console display (Zugriff verweigert!), lest some hacksor have the ability to lock up your e-Golf while you drive down the road (Sie können uns jetzt dafür danken!).

I'm not asking for it to serve me coffee while I drive, but I find Android Auto entirely locked into Google only geared apps & only a few at that. Mirror Link should work, like it would my Android to my TV (by example), but doesn't. As for the USB port, every time my phone connects to the car this way, my phone's battery gets drained FAST. Something on that end is entirely off, be it the power unit in the dash or the circuity to the center display is outdated & the software is not up-gradable.

manybees said:
Sparklebeard said:

Also as an aside, the iOS version of PlugShare does not and currently cannot do active navigation on Apple CarPlay, as the app just overlays their charging station data over an Apple Maps feed on iOS using MapKit. To do active navigation on CarPlay, PlugShare would have to provide their own map imagery and road data. They cannot use Apple’s MapKit SDK for that data. PlugShare would also have to be able to provide its own route guidance directly in the app, as iOS CarPlay guidelines prohibit apps from “linking out” to Apple Maps, Google Maps, Google Waze, or the car's nav system, which is what PlugShare does when you tap the “Get Directions” link in the app.

TBH I’d be fine with their interface just helping me find a charge station, then hand off the address to Apple maps and let maps do the navigating.

Apple maps has basic EV support, but VW doesn’t implement CarPlay in such a way that CarPlay knows the car is electric -_-

VW’s CarPlay implementation is 3/5 stars at best.

Back