VW E Golf 2016 Carnet Problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matt1384

Hi i just got my E golf from 2016, im trying to set it up with the VW app to carnet, but when i reaches to the point where i have to put in the code from the app is just fails everytime? How can i fix this?

unnamed.jpg

You're out of luck. All e-Golfs sold in the U.S. have 3g cellular modems, and the 3g cellular networks shut down a few years ago, so the modems no longer work, and there's no way for the car to connect to Car-Net. AFAIK, VW never offered any way to upgrade the modems in e-Golfs, so the cars cannot be connected to the app.

You're out of luck. All e-Golfs sold in the U.S. have 3g cellular modems, and the 3g cellular networks shut down a few years ago, so the modems no longer work, and there's no way for the car to connect to Car-Net. AFAIK, VW never offered any way to upgrade the modems in e-Golfs, so the cars cannot be connected to the app.
You are correct about 3G shutdown, but I vaguely remember VW mentioning there is some 3rd party solution to get 4G connectivity. I never used car-net so I did not think investigate.

You are correct about 3G shutdown, but I vaguely remember VW mentioning there is some 3rd party solution to get 4G connectivity. I never used car-net so I did not think investigate.
I remember something about that announcment for 2015-2016 model year e-Golfs back in 2020 or so, but I don't ever remember VW actually ever implementing the program or making a solution available.

There's definitely nothing available for 2017+ model year e-Golfs in the U.S. because we have a 2018, and I looked into it, and was told we were SOL.

I remember something about that announcment for 2015-2016 model year e-Golfs back in 2020 or so, but I don't ever remember VW actually ever implementing the program or making a solution available.

There's definitely nothing available for 2017+ model year e-Golfs in the U.S. because we have a 2018, and I looked into it, and was told we were SOL.
Ok. Thanks. It is interesting, though, that my 2017 e-Golf is able to get GPS time somehow, and my car does not have built in navigation.

Ok. Thanks. It is interesting, though, that my 2017 e-Golf is able to get GPS time somehow, and my car does not have built in navigation.
What indication do you see that tells you your car gets GPS time? On my 2017, I have to reset the clock twice a year for Daylight Saving Time.

What indication do you see that tells you your car gets GPS time? On my 2017, I have to reset the clock twice a year for Daylight Saving Time.
Exactly. When I have tried to change the daylight savings time I’m setting in an underground garage with no gps signal, I see an error and can not change the dst setting.

Exactly. When I have tried to change the daylight savings time I’m setting in an underground garage with no gps signal, I see an error and can not change the dst setting.
I don't follow what you're saying. Does your clock change automatically twice a year or do you have to change it yourself?

I can't wrap my head around that. I would expect that being without a GPS signal would be an example of a circumstance where you might need to set the clock.
I understand. Car would not let me check / uncheck the DST button when car was underground.

Back