Warranty time.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Who can tell me what is wrong with this picture? Saddened, it was working driving down to Malibu today, but not working driving home. Repeated restarts, complete power off, relocks, etc, still not operating. Worst thing is I can see Service writer telling me they can't fix it if there is no "Check Engine Light", no problem!

20151206_160528_zpsth5u4ruh.jpg

miimura said:
The only thing I can think to try to "reset" it further is to disconnect the 12V for a few minutes.

I may try a VCDS error code Scan first to see if any codes were thrown or detected that didn't warrant throwing a yellow CEL light, but were stored anyways in memory.

I am thinking the same thing, and if the mode in the infotainment center doesn't start functioning again, then it's a loose electrical connection, or a convenience control module of sorts. What makes it confusing is that the 3 icons do show up in the infotainment center, but it doesn't show which icon mode the car is engaged in, nor does "Eco" or "Eco+" register in any of the hard button "Car" modes.

One of those modes should be in yellow, the mode it is currently operating in.

VW electrical, legendary for failure... I wish the car would just stay in the temp, the fan, the radio channel and the drive mode I left it in when I shut it down the last time. All of my other VW's have no trouble with memory on settings.

The sometimes scary part is that VW techs are legendary for doing more damage to the car, trying to fix something. You can read all kinds of war stories about this on TDIclub.com, or VWVortex.

I had this happen once. I did notice that the MODE button (near the shift lever) turns orange when in either Eco or Eco+. Is the button lighting up for you? When I did not get the display indication of the mode, the MODE button was yellow and I could tell the car was operating in Eco mode. I hope it goes away. I think the issue in my car went away after charging.

f1geek said:
I had this happen once. I did notice that the MODE button (near the shift lever) turns orange when in either Eco or Eco+. Is the button lighting up for you? When I did not get the display indication of the mode, the MODE button was yellow and I could tell the car was operating in Eco mode. I hope it goes away. I think the issue in my car went away after charging.

My issue started after charging, in Malibu, CA. Fully charged. My mode hard button does turn from cool white to yellow but it still doesn't tell me if in eco or eco+ on the infotainment center any more.

Updated to latest Ross-tech files 15.2 version, did an error scan... nothing. Clean as a whistle.

Baffled...
24 hours later, didn't drive today, didn't charge today, it didn't work this morning, and now 24 hours later, it's reset itself and it works. Go figure? Really, really praying it isn't one of those intermittent electrical problems. Those make you want to pull your hair out troubleshooting.

VW is really good with software - see, it fixed itself. It's just like those diesels know when to pollute!

By the way, this condition has only happened once to my e-Golf and went away as fast as your problem did. If only VW could give us some options for the charger plug lock (more software magic). As long as I'm complaining, I'd like the e-Golf to also show the charge rate in kW.

f1geek said:
VW is really good with software - see, it fixed itself. It's just like those diesels know when to pollute!

By the way, this condition has only happened once to my e-Golf and went away as fast as your problem did. If only VW could give us some options for the charger plug lock (more software magic). As long as I'm complaining, I'd like the e-Golf to also show the charge rate in kW.
While we're dreaming, the variable charge current should be controllable in the car instead of in the CarNet app too.

miimura said:
f1geek said:

While we're dreaming, the variable charge current should be controllable in the car instead of in the CarNet app too.

Agreed, 100%, except if that infotainment center stops working, so does all that functionality.

JoulesThief said:
miimura said:
f1geek said:

Agreed, 100%, except if that infotainment center stops working, so does all that functionality.
This is the way of modern automobiles. I would rather depend on the infotainment system than cellular networks and cloud servers.

miimura said:
JoulesThief said:
miimura said:

This is the way of modern automobiles. I would rather depend on the infotainment system than cellular networks and cloud servers.

Funny you should mention that, my Car-Net app today for a couple of hours refused to recognize my PIN number as being correct, therefore, I couldn't log in today for a few hours.

Back