using an extension cord...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Folks,
I'll admit first that I did not do enough research before we bought our 2015 SEL last night. I did not know that it takes 22 hours to charge from a regular outlet, nor did I know that you are not supposed to use an extension cord.

We do not have an outlet in the front of our house so I had planned to use an extension cord from an outlet in the backyard. I read the manual last night and was depressed to see that they say to never use an extension cord.

We hope to get a proper station put in soon, but in the meantime can anyone tell me what will happen if I use an extension cord? If it is possible to use one, what kind is best?

Thank you experts!!!

Heatherposer said:
Hi Folks,
I'll admit first that I did not do enough research before we bought our 2015 SEL last night. I did not know that it takes 22 hours to charge from a regular outlet, nor did I know that you are not supposed to use an extension cord.

We do not have an outlet in the front of our house so I had planned to use an extension cord from an outlet in the backyard. I read the manual last night and was depressed to see that they say to never use an extension cord.

We hope to get a proper station put in soon, but in the meantime can anyone tell me what will happen if I use an extension cord? If it is possible to use one, what kind is best?

Thank you experts!!!

It depends on what kind of charger you got. If you got the 12amp
https://www.clippercreek.com/store/product/pcs-15-portable-level-1-evse/

If you use an extension cord you need a 15 amp cord 12 guage minimum. This will run you from $30-50
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-50-ft-12-3-SJTW-Extension-Cord-with-Standard-Plug-747-123050H31/205377752

If you use a generic extension cord that you buy from Target, you will overheat the cord, it will melt and cause a fire.

As a side note do you have a dryer plug unused?
Buy this for $399 and then pay a LICENSED electrician to install (About $200)
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Leviton-Evr-Green-Mini-Electric-Vehicle-Charging-Station-Level-2-Wall-Mounted-with-12-ft-Cord-000-EVBL2-P12/206617056

Heatherposer said:
Hi Folks,

Thank you experts!!!

What's your daily commute and how long until you get a charge station wired? Unless you're depleting the battery every day, it's not as if you're going to charge for 20 hours. Whatever you do, get a good heavy duty extension cord and don't see it as a longterm solution by any means.

Thank you both for the tips! My commute is about 50 - 60 miles/day. Can you advise on how well charging from a 110 every day will work for me? I'm not sure how long it will take to get a proper charging station put in will take. We don't have a spare dryer outlet since ours is occupied. Any advice on just going with the Bosch charger?

Do you have the SE or SEL?

If SE, don't bother, if SEL it can benefit.

50 mile a day commute? Wow

Heatherposer said:
Thank you both for the tips! My commute is about 50 - 60 miles/day. Can you advise on how well charging from a 110 every day will work for me? I'm not sure how long it will take to get a proper charging station put in will take. We don't have a spare dryer outlet since ours is occupied. Any advice on just going with the Bosch charger?

Some really rough estimates I used when thinking about the different charging methods:
* Level 1, at home on 120V
You'll get about 4-5 miles of range for every hour you charge. So if you drive 50-60 miles, you'll need at least 10 hours and probably no more than 15 hours to charge back to full.

* Level 2, 240V either at home or at public charger.
The time needed here depends on your exact setup at home and the 240V EVSE you buy. Using that Bosch one at Home Depot for an example (20A at 240V):
You will get about 16 miles of range for every hour you charge. After a 50-60 mile drive. You can recharge in 3.5-4 hours.

These are just estimates, and will depend on how efficiently you drive. If you do really well, you'll use less battery and won't need to recharge as long, if you're doing 75 on the hilly freeway the whole 60 miles, you may come close to empty-ing the battery and you might end up needing almost 20hours to recharge on 120V at home.

You mentioned the dryer socket already being in use, here's an option that would let you use that dryer plug for both:
http://bsa-electronics.myshopify.com/products/dryer-buddy-1-30a-240v-splitter-5ft-cable-nema-10-30before-1996-with-ammeter?variant=1686774721

I assume this is safe, but I don't know this company and can't vouch for them

Thank you all! This has been very helpful. Hopefully I'll be a pro in a few weeks. If anyone has any other important suggestions for a total been I am ALL EARS!

All 2015's come with a 7.2 kwh charger pack.

If you have a charger at work, most likely it is a level 2 charger and will add 20 to 30 miles of driving per hour of charging.

Major rule of thumb in electric cars... if you want to drive farther per charge, the slower you drive, the farther your range per charge. You can empty the charge in the battery in 1 to 1.5 hours, it will take you 3 to 3.5 or 3.75 hours to recharge it again. Therefore, your charging time, on a level 2 exceeds your driving time by a ratio of 2:1. It pays for you to slow down, if you don't want to sit and wait charging.

You also have a SAE Combo charger... but you will pay dearly to recharge with that port at public locations, completely defeating the economics of buying an electric car in the first place. It will recharge at most DC fast chargers, for about $10.00 to go 70 miles, in a 20 to 30 minute time period.... very, very expensive per mile driving rates then. Find public level 2 charging venues on Plugshare that bill at $0.15 per kwh of electricity you take on board.

Golden rule... drive fast, much over 65 mph, and battery empties way, way, way fast. Drive just a little slower, 55 to 60 mph, battery will take you much, much farther between recharges, and it will increase your range significantly. Remember, it takes longer to recharge per mile added than it does driving per mile in your rear view mirror. Slow down. Seems counter intuitive, but that's just the facts and the way it is.

Plugshare App for your smart phone... don't ever leave home without it. BTW it is a huge energy sucking app on your battery on a smart phone, very high amperage usage, it drains your cellphone battery fast! Use sparingly.

Ok great! That makes sense. I noticed how much my range decreased on the freeway. Yes, I already used one of these $10 chargers which totally sucks. There don't appear to be any public charging stations within walking distance of work, weird in San Francisco, but a couple people have their home stations on Plugshare so hoping I can offer a little $ to one of them to let me charge until I get mine set up. I mostly sit in traffic, so I think during my regular commute I'll do ok. But we'll find out Monday morning!

Thanks again for all the tips. Any advice on who to use for installing a charging station?

Heatherposer said:
Ok great! That makes sense. I noticed how much my range decreased on the freeway. Yes, I already used one of these $10 chargers which totally sucks. There don't appear to be any public charging stations within walking distance of work, weird in San Francisco, but a couple people have their home stations on Plugshare so hoping I can offer a little $ to one of them to let me charge until I get mine set up. I mostly sit in traffic, so I think during my regular commute I'll do ok. But we'll find out Monday morning!

Thanks again for all the tips. Any advice on who to use for installing a charging station?

You don't need to install a charging station, you need to install a 240V circuit, minimum 40 amps, preferably future proof it a bit and get a 50 amp breaker. Probably run 6 gauge wire to a NEMA 14-50 RV plug in outlet. Order your 30 Amp or 40 Amp EVSE unit for about $400 to $600 with a 14-50 NEMA plug on it, and at least 24 or 25 feet of cord to the J-1772 handle that you plug in to the car port. Put the 14-50 pug in the new outlet box the electrician installs. Hopefully your exisiting electrical panel will handle an additional 40 or 50 amp dual pole circuit breaker. If that doesn't work, see about a 30 amp circuit breaker that you can run a 20 to 24 amp EVSE unit to... some units, like the JuiceBox 40, you can open up and adjust a potentiometer and tweak the amperage adjustment down to 80% continuous of what ever your circuit breaker is capable of. For example, on a dedicated 240V 30 amp circuit, say a dryer, you could adjust a Juice Box 40 by removing the screws on the cover, and setting it down to a maximum of 24 amps drawn, and still be fine with the circuit not being overloaded and the wiring in the walls and panel not getting hot. 24/30 is 80% 24 amps will still charge you pretty darn fast, 4/5 the rate of a 30 amp unit,which with 240 V residential , is the full 7.2kwh your on board charger is capable of handling.

Do yourself a favor, get on your laptop, load up Plugshare.com and start surfing... go to your settings and check "J-1772" as the only type of plug active in your searches. Start surfing around on the map to find the green level 2 balloons nearby and make notes of addresses. you may have to start out the hard way, fighting and grubbing some electrons to charge your battery until you get an electrician in, or a boyfriend with some electrical savvy to help get you sorted out.

Pull out your ChargePoint cards out of your glove box, and activate them.

Load Charge Point app on your smart phone too, and surf away, getting familiar with local charging areas, and their pricing structure. Free charging invites leeches and mooches, and hard to find open charging stations. Pay for kw at a 15 cent or 20 cent per kwh will only set you back a couple of bucks, sometimes you'll find free Charge Point chargers too. Or hang out at car dealerships if you must, VW, Audi, Nissan, Kia, Honda, Toyota, Ford, Fiat and Chevy dealerships, if they sell electrical cars, have level 2 chargers available. Offer to pay for the electricity you need, above what ever the market rate is, for the owners troubles.

The good thing is you bought an SEL, it's easy to add 30 to 32 mile per charging hour on their 208V 30 amp level 2 chargers.

Thanks I've already been obsessing over Plugshare and charge point. Got all my accounts set up for charge point and EVGO. I was able to get my Delphi to reach into an outlet in the kitchen, which looks to be GFCI but am getting only the power fault and power lights on. Any thoughts? Been researching electricians, and have scoped out all the free level 2 spots nearby. All the city halls here have them!

Kitchen and bath outlets are not a good choice for two reasons. First, the charging cord already has GFCI inside, it will usually fault when you plug it into an outlet that has its own GFCI, as all kitchens and bathrooms should. Second, those places typically have other high drain devices like toaster ovens and hair dryers. You are very likely to trip the breaker if you are charging your card and use one of those on the same circuit.

Please call an electrical contractor to have a dedicated outlet installed. Of course, future proofing is good and a larger circuit is better for the future. A NEMA 14-50 socket which is 240V 50A is a good choice. However, even a 240V 20A circuit and a 15-16A charging station would be guaranteed to charge your car overnight. It really depends on what capacity is available in your electrical panel since the parts and labor cost is not much different. Only an electrician can evaluate your situation properly. Also, look into what electrical rate plans are available from your utility. You didn't say where you live, but I suspect that if you are commuting to SF, you likely have PG&E. PG&E does have an EV-specific rate plan that lets you charge very cheaply overnight.

Heatherposer said:
Thanks I've already been obsessing over Plugshare and charge point. Got all my accounts set up for charge point and EVGO. I was able to get my Delphi to reach into an outlet in the kitchen, which looks to be GFCI but am getting only the power fault and power lights on. Any thoughts? Been researching electricians, and have scoped out all the free level 2 spots nearby. All the city halls here have them!
Kitchen outlet for a 12amp draw circuit? OMG that's just asking for something bad to happen.

Use the Washer/ Dryer plugs for safety's sake!

BTW a 220v outlet cost me $200 (From Back to panel to wall of garage (6 inches))
And a Leviton EVR-Green Mini cost me $400 from Home depot.

Pay the $600, the fire isn't worth it and the leviton can be transferred if you move (Since it uses a NEMA 6-30R Plug)

See my other post on the costs of Chargepoint and NRG Evgo, they are more expensive than going on the SCE EV Plan.

Oh dear, well I've been researching electricians. Any thoughts on whether the person should have EV expertise?

Heatherposer said:
Oh dear, well I've been researching electricians. Any thoughts on whether the person should have EV expertise?
For an electrician? No, they just need to be licensed. Don't fall for the it's $2000 to install . Use Yelp

Your SE (I'm assuming you got an SE) can only charge at 3.6kwh, so that means you need the CHEAPEST 220v charger which is the leviton evr-green mini.

That's $400 at home depot and it took my guy 1 Hour to install the plug from the panel. (45 mins to be exact). Mounting the leviton took another 10.

The Ebusbar H02A10 is $100 cheaper than the leviton and still provies enough amperage to max out the SE charger on 240v.

However the OP mentions having an SEL so this is in the wrong thread.

Verkehr said:
The Ebusbar H02A10 is $100 cheaper than the leviton and still provies enough amperage to max out the SE charger on 240v.

However the OP mentions having an SEL so this is in the wrong thread.
Yikes! I didn't notice that.

Sorry OP, you will have to upgrade to a heavier charger that will run about $550.

That Ebusbar price is real nice $300, though it comes from a company outside of the US so warranty might be a bit rough.

OP here's a list for you to choose
http://www.myelectriccarforums.com/electric-vehicle-charger/

Back