Upgrade battery to 48kwh..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It looks like a chinese firm Is going to sell 48kwh batteries for eGolf in Europe.

https://mtgbattery.com/volkswagen-e-glof/

Are you interested, eventually?

I talked with a guy on WhatsApp and he said they start end of year. I'll wait and see..
It is a bit suspect that the photos of the "e-Golf" shown are combustion Golfs. Also, energy density is barely better: 193 Wh/kg for original "large" pack and 202 Wh/kg for new pack. I think it should be on the order of 10 to 20% better gravimetric density considering the age of the 35.8 kWh pack.

It is a bit suspect that the photos of the "e-Golf" shown are combustion Golfs. Also, energy density is barely better: 193 Wh/kg for original "large" pack and 202 Wh/kg for new pack. I think it should be on the order of 10 to 20% better gravimetric density considering the age of the 35.8 kWh pack.
MTG and CATL are both legit Chinese NCM battery suppliers, but agree, gas engine Golf image is incongruent.
Good note on density. New 48kWh pack = 238kg; Std 36kWh = 185kg.
Yes, additional "35% more energy" but also extra 30% more mass.
But... 208km vs 280km range (130 vs 175mi) does have some appeal as well.
I'm certainly curious - especially if pricing isn't outrageous.
Also wondering about complexity of updating battery management/ECM to recognize new higher capacity pack.
Though (optimistic) perhaps by point these new packs are available there will be "tuning" available for eGolf ECM...

MTG and CATL are both legit Chinese NCM battery suppliers, but agree, gas engine Golf image is incongruent.
Good note on density. New 48kWh pack = 238kg; Std 36kWh = 185kg.
Yes, additional "35% more energy" but also extra 30% more mass.
But... 208km vs 280km range (130 vs 175mi) does have some appeal as well.
I'm certainly curious - especially if pricing isn't outrageous.
Also wondering about complexity of updating battery management/ECM to recognize new higher capacity pack.
Though (optimistic) perhaps by point these new packs are available there will be "tuning" available for eGolf ECM...
very very complex I suspect. For the expected large cost, range should be over 200 mi I think. Also, not sure e-Golf is a big enough market for a product like this, considering battery deg is minimal given passively cooled pack design.

very very complex I suspect. For the expected large cost, range should be over 200 mi I think. Also, not sure e-Golf is a big enough market for a product like this, considering battery deg is minimal given passively cooled pack design.
if not egolf, then which market with conscious edrivers would ever be? genuine newbie question, because i will always prefer ev with minimal battery deg, and not many options out there, still life changes, and range needs change. golf has 40y.

My 2015 eGolf is on a pretty short leash now, at <70 miles, so yes, I'm interested, tho not in a big hurry. Upgrading the ECM/controller will be an issue. I wonder if I can keep the old battery as a home powerwall?

Back