Low Coolant Warning

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lupulo

My commuter car is a 2016 e-Golf SE. I bought it used in 2019, and it has been my main commuter since that day. This morning on my way to work I got a low-coolant warning. This is the second time. Back in April I got an overheat warning while driving in 50 degree weather in stop & go traffic. I researched and found the coolant level check and checked the coolant, it was topped off according to the level indicator. I took it to my local VW dealer and they charged me out the wazoo to hook it up to diagnostic computer and were able to tell me nothing. When I get home today I'll check the coolant level again. If it needs topping up, is there a coolant available from a 3rd party than buying from VW dealer? (it's a 20-mile trip to the closest VW Dealership, there's an O'Reilly Autoparts within walking distance. What's the possibility this is a sensor glitch?

TIA,
Ron

My commuter car is a 2016 e-Golf SE. I bought it used in 2019, and it has been my main commuter since that day. This morning on my way to work I got a low-coolant warning. This is the second time. Back in April I got an overheat warning while driving in 50 degree weather in stop & go traffic. I researched and found the coolant level check and checked the coolant, it was topped off according to the level indicator. I took it to my local VW dealer and they charged me out the wazoo to hook it up to diagnostic computer and were able to tell me nothing. When I get home today I'll check the coolant level again. If it needs topping up, is there a coolant available from a 3rd party than buying from VW dealer? (it's a 20-mile trip to the closest VW Dealership, there's an O'Reilly Autoparts within walking distance. What's the possibility this is a sensor glitch?

TIA,
Ron
If level looks ok then probably bad sensor. Maybe you can mail order the coolant?

Thanks for your reply. The coolant level was right where it was last time I looked in March, right at the max-fill line. This morning the system didn't say anything was wrong. I'm thinking everything, including the sensor, is working correctly except for the software, which misreads the sensor from time to time. I did find several places online to mail-order the coolant if I ever need it. Several companies make it. Thanks for that suggestion.

Thanks for your reply. The coolant level was right where it was last time I looked in March, right at the max-fill line. This morning the system didn't say anything was wrong. I'm thinking everything, including the sensor, is working correctly except for the software, which misreads the sensor from time to time. I did find several places online to mail-order the coolant if I ever need it. Several companies make it. Thanks for that suggestion.
You may want to unplug and reconnect (several times) the coolant sensor connector as there may be corrosion or dirt on contacts that is causing the faulty reading. I find “exercising” or using an eraser to clean electrical
contacts can solve issues. If you use an eraser be sure the area is blown free of any particles.

MK7 and other VWs are known to have leaking coolant on the connector on the coolant bottle. Unplug the connector and inspect for corrosion and damage. Check on the bottle side and the connector side.

Back