Buying an e-Golf a non pezv state (Virginia)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have emailed a dealer in Rhode Island and was told they can not sell me an eGolf because I live in a non-pezv state, is the factual information?

We live in NH and had to buy our egolf in MA. As it turns out our closest dealer is in VT and we can get it serviced there ( they didn't have any egolfs when we decided to buy ours) We bought our TDI Passat from the VT dealer so we have a decent relationship.

So there is no law that I'm aware of preventing you from buying one, however VW credit won't lease or finance for you if you live in a non CARB state and want to register it there.

We love our 2015 SEL and use it for all our local driving. The TDI goes the distance when needed.

Good luck

Maryland is a ZEV state. There are dealers there that are much closer to you in VA. However, VW may not lease it to you. They can't stop you from buying it with your own financing though.

This is a response that I recieved from a dealership in Rhode Island....

Stephen,

We are the largest eGolf dealer outside of the three states on the west coast. We receive inquires from all over the US for the eGolf and I assure you, we can not sell a brand new eGolf to someone that is not in a PEZV state.

Regarding your point about the financing, they review the registration data. Also, when we report a car sold, we have to provide the address in which it is registered. If we sell an eGolf outside of the PEZV approved states, we risk penalties from VW. The reason for this is VW does not receive the carbon offsets points that are required to maintain the ability to sell the rest of their fleet.

I'm not trying to take the wind out of your sails, I'm just being honest and completely transparent with you.

You have two options:
1) Register the car in a PEZV state and then re-register to your current address
2) Buy one pre-owned

Keep in mind, our job is to sell cars. I wish I could sell you one right now and put it on a truck!

________

Thoughts?

SugarBear433 said:
This is a response that I recieved from a dealership in Rhode Island....

Stephen,

We are the largest eGolf dealer outside of the three states on the west coast. We receive inquires from all over the US for the eGolf and I assure you, we can not sell a brand new eGolf to someone that is not in a PEZV state.

Regarding your point about the financing, they review the registration data. Also, when we report a car sold, we have to provide the address in which it is registered. If we sell an eGolf outside of the PEZV approved states, we risk penalties from VW. The reason for this is VW does not receive the carbon offsets points that are required to maintain the ability to sell the rest of their fleet.

I'm not trying to take the wind out of your sails, I'm just being honest and completely transparent with you.

You have two options:
1) Register the car in a PEZV state and then re-register to your current address
2) Buy one pre-owned

Keep in mind, our job is to sell cars. I wish I could sell you one right now and put it on a truck!

________

Thoughts?

Buy a low mileage used 2015 e-Golf. Or buy something else in the VW lineup.

JoulesThief said:
Buy a low mileage used 2015 e-Golf

That's exactly what I did, and I couldn't be happier (nor could my wallet!)

2015 SEL Premium w/ 8200 miles on it for $18292. I did have to pay a guy $400 to flatbed it from Bakersfield, CA to Scottsdale, AZ, but that was peanuts compared to what I saved over buying new.

I bought a new 2015 SEL e-Golf for $15,200, in October of 2015, after rebates and tax credits, but before sales taxes. 33 miles on it. Deals are relative, Timing and location are everything. Maybe by 2018 or 2020, I'll be ready for something new... maybe not.

Back