2015 eGolf SE - Detecting charging plug when not plugged in (no servo)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slowccie

Was driving down a local street and noticed an icon came up on the dash that detected the charging port was plugged in (it was not). Car stopped at a stop light and it was a full stop-had to push it out a major intersection to the side of the road-thank you VW engineers... Thankfully my kids weren't driving the car (it is their car).

The error I am getting now is "Unable to start. Remove charging plug!"-see image. My J1771 plug doesn't have the retaining pin, do we know how they are detecting the cable being plugged in? Can I get at the raw data with Anyscan to see what is going on in the charging module?

You can see from the photos I do not have the servo pin that causes most issues, do we know how it is detecting the cable being present? I see what could be a metal clip on the top and potentially a metal pin on the bottom-not sure if either of these would serve a function?

Thank you all! Need to get the kids back on the road :)

IMG_2519.PNG

IMG_2517 Small.jpegIMG_2514 Small.jpegIMG_2512 Small.jpeg

Also just as an FYI, I confirmed the 12V battery is at 12.48V (assuming this is good enough!)

The only "switch" I could possibly see is the one that keeps the charging port door closed. I may just start disassembling this tomorrow and report back. Also will load up Xtool Anyscan and report back on what I can find out.

Also just as an FYI, I confirmed the 12V battery is at 12.48V (assuming this is good enough!)

The only "switch" I could possibly see is the one that keeps the charging port door closed. I may just start disassembling this tomorrow and report back. Also will load up Xtool Anyscan and report back on what I can find out.
Vehicle inlet looks to have a bit of damage. Check all of the pins within the inlet and make sure they are clean. Otherwise, I suspect faulty wiring somewhere near inlet port. Charge port door locked or unlocked does not matter - there is no sensor for the door as far as I know.

Please show a full high quality photo of entire J1772 inlet.

May also be worth it to disconnect 12 V battery for a few minutes to reset car. Best of luck!

Was able to hook the scan tool up this morning, found the value "Power outlet A for Battery Charging" this is incorrectly set to detected. When I pull the charging cable out it will momentarily change to "Not Detected" then flip back after a few seconds to "Detected". Are they using some sort of field effect (fet) to detect the charging cable?

I included a high res photo of the charge port (no apparent damage) and cleaned the contacts with cotton swabs-no change.

Battery is disconnected for the morning, hoping for an easy fix before I pull the port off and look at it in more detail. Also not sure if it matters but the car is in fact a 2016.

Attachments

• IMG_2520 Large.jpeg
    IMG_2520 Large.jpeg
    439.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2524 Medium.jpeg
    IMG_2524 Medium.jpeg
    72.4 KB · Views: 1
Was able to hook the scan tool up this morning, found the value "Power outlet A for Battery Charging" this is incorrectly set to detected. When I pull the charging cable out it will momentarily change to "Not Detected" then flip back after a few seconds to "Detected". Are they using some sort of field effect (fet) to detect the charging cable?

I included a high res photo of the charge port (no apparent damage) and cleaned the contacts with cotton swabs-no change.

Battery is disconnected for the morning, hoping for an easy fix before I pull the port off and look at it in more detail. Also not sure if it matters but the car is in fact a 2016.
Thanks. I think the proximity pin is likely sensing the presence of a connector. Pretty sure all sensing is via circuit continuity.

Thanks. I think the proximity pin is likely sensing the presence of a connector. Pretty sure all sensing is via circuit continuity.
Thanks, will look at the PP pin and see the voltages/resistance. It is feeling like it may be a chaffed wire or a loose ground wire somewhere along the way to the BMS (fun times).

Will report back!

Looks like there is a bad wire / contact close to the connector (can fix it temporarily by jiggling the wires). The smaller wires look like they are not supported very well as they are routed through the cover.

When I tested the pins I was seeing pretty good ohm swings which indicated something was amiss. Took the wheel off, fender liner, a ton of torx and allen screws to get it down to this point.

Debating about soldering an extra inch on the smaller wires to relieve the stress/pull that is probably causing the issue.

Attachments

• IMG_2529 Large.jpeg
    IMG_2529 Large.jpeg
    283.5 KB · Views: 1
Looks like there is a bad wire / contact close to the connector (can fix it temporarily by jiggling the wires). The smaller wires look like they are not supported very well as they are routed through the cover.

When I tested the pins I was seeing pretty good ohm swings which indicated something was amiss. Took the wheel off, fender liner, a ton of torx and allen screws to get it down to this point.

Debating about soldering an extra inch on the smaller wires to relieve the stress/pull that is probably causing the issue.
Nice work.

Started replacing wiring and was still having intermittent issues with the connector, so decided to jump right in an disassemble the connector and see what in the heck is going on. To my surprise I found this resistor between two pins.`. Pretty sure given the corrosion and discoloration I may have found the issue. I think this is between the ground and control pilot pins..

Before I do a field repair (literally) is this part available anywhere? Any reason I couldn't solder the same ohm resistor up the line in the harness?

TIA!

Attachments

• IMG_2530 Large.jpeg
    IMG_2530 Large.jpeg
    306.4 KB · Views: 2
Started replacing wiring and was still having intermittent issues with the connector, so decided to jump right in an disassemble the connector and see what in the heck is going on. To my surprise I found this resistor between two pins.`. Pretty sure given the corrosion and discoloration I may have found the issue. I think this is between the ground and control pilot pins..

Before I do a field repair (literally) is this part available anywhere? Any reason I couldn't solder the same ohm resistor up the line in the harness?

TIA!
Impressive work. The resistor connection looks pretty beat up. Buying a new assembly probably makes sense. if it is a standard J1772 inlet, then maybe any brand will work? I suppose a VW part would be best for compatibility.

I ordered 100 new 2.7k ohm resistors... (if I am reading it right) - Should be here tomorrow and will report back if it fixed the issue.

Too bad Fry's or Radio Shack isn't around any more--could have fixed it today!

When I was cleaning the connector up with some crc QD/etc the resistor basically dissolved.. Hopefully this can help someone save $3k at the dealer haha.

Resistor showed up around 4:30, car was completely put back together and going on a test drive by 5:15. Really easy fix once I identified the problem. Put a few 2.7k ohm resistors in the glove box just in case, not sure what I would do with em on the side of the road but somehow made me feel better!

Included a photo of how I installed/soldered it in. Hopefully this will help someone else who runs into this random problem.

Attachments

• IMG_2547 Large.jpeg
    IMG_2547 Large.jpeg
    323.8 KB · Views: 4
I’m impressed! Great job. What are you going to buy with all the money you saved?

Back